What is Forensic Accounting
Forensic Accountants combine the skills and services of an Accountant and Auditor, an Investigator and a Forensic Analyst. In an increasingly complex and litigious business and personal world, their services are frequently called upon to provide expert testimony in court and to prepare cases and resolve disputes across a range of areas from personal injury claims to matrimonial disputes, fraud investigations and interruptions in business.
“Forensic Accounting”, provides an accounting analysis that is suitable to the court which will form the basis for discussion, debate and ultimately dispute resolution.
An inexperienced accountant / investigator can destroy a case with a weak report and poor evidence. As Forensic Accounting specialists, with over 10 years experience, James G. O’Hanlon has a wealth of knowledge in a broad range of litigation cases, expert witness reporting and presentation and the negotiation of settlements.
As Forensic Accountants, we utilise accounting, auditing and investigative skills when conducting an investigation. Equally critical is our ability to respond immediately and to communicate financial information clearly and concisely in a courtroom setting.
Forensic Accountants are trained to look beyond the numbers and deal with the business reality of the situation.
What type of assignment does a Forensic Accountant undertake?
- Personal Injury – Loss of Earnings
- Business Interruptions & Economic Losses
- Matrimonial Proceedings & Settlements
- Government Enquiries
- Fraud Investigations
- Professional Negligence
- Company Valuations / Due Diligence
- Mediation & Arbitration
What does the work involve
- Detailed investigation and analysis of books, records, financial statements and financial evidence for Loss of Earnings Claims, Disruption of Business, Alleged Fraud, Economic Loss etc.
- Identification of any unusual or suspicious transactions
- Identification of Hidden Assets & Unreported Income
- Drawing up schedules of assets and income for matrimonial and other cases
- Quantifying values in a dispute
- Comprehensive help with all court work from the preparation of clear and concise reports for Plaintiffs and Defendants, testifying as an expert witness, attending consultations and settlement meetings with other professional witnesses and legal advisors
- Recreating books and records which have been destroyed in a fire or flood and determining the profit or loss of a business where the records have been destroyed or are unavailable
- Critiquing of other experts’ testimony
- Computation of loss from commercial breach of contract, supply of faulty equipment, faulty raw materials / products, delays in completing contracts and similar type commercial disputes
James G. O’Hanlon provides Expert Witness service for various types of individuals, companies and organisations who make use of the specialist service in conjunction with Forensic Accounting services:
- Insurance Companies
- Plaintiffs and Defendants
- Government Agencies
- Security Forces
- Private Investigators
- Self Employed
- Private Firms
- Financial Institutions
- Semi State Organisations
- Marital separation/ Divorcees
Contact Avid Partners today about our Forensic Accounting & Expert Witness service. Call our office closest to you to find out more or